Sunday, November 4, 2012

"Waste" of an Education?

Last week in class Doc Oc posed an interesting question about whether certain occupations are a waste of a college education. Some specific jobs that were mentioned included painters, sculptors, and other occupations that are not always what some would consider "well paying jobs." But as the famous saying tells us; Money isn't everything. 

A college education is by no means a cheap investment. College Board reports that in-state public universities cost roughly $21,447 each year, while one year at a private college is closer to $42,224. With these costs, many students are left with crushing debt as well. To add to the costs, there is also suffocating pressure from figures in our community (on the North Shore) such as our parents, teachers, and friends to get into a "good school",  and use that "good education" to land a "good job."


Many parents, especially on the North Shore, will push their kids to take many level 18 classes and numerous APs in hopes that their child will go to an Ivy league school and become a doctor, lawyer, etc. What is often overlooked is what the child wants to do with his/ or her life. For example, many students are brilliant young minds who love the arts. Knowing that making a comfortable living as an artist is extremely difficult, many students are reluctant to pursue what they love to do, which is a huge concern in my eyes. 


I think students should be more encouraged to do what they love to do, rather than what is the safest economically. Pursuing lower income occupations is not a waste of an education if it's your passion. It is important to think about what the purpose of an education is. I urge you to think about this, and comment below what the purpose of your schooling really is. An article from Forbes helped me understand what many perceive to be the main "reasons" for an education. This article can be found here.  When I reflect the early years of my high school education, I quickly realize that my schooling is mainly to develop not only a broader understanding for how our world works, but a deeper insight to who I am, and what I want I want to do with my life. Discovering what you love to study through education seems like the polar opposite of a waste to me. If creating beautiful pieces of art, or whatever it may be is your passion then I say go for it. What are your thoughts?



1 comment:

  1. This blog post really encompasses what Mr. O'Connor and Mr. Bolos tell us about grades and college. As you know, they tell us that grades are a poor evaluation of you as a student, and striving to go to that "good" college is something that you shouldn't be so set on. My high school experience has always been focused on the grades and GPA. As for me, I am not so sure what I want to major in, or build a career on. But I do agree with your assessment of always trying to go to the best school to get the best job. It begs the question of what the best job is! Is the best job the one that allows you to own a mansion and go on expensive vacations all the time, or is the best job one that allows you to do what you love? For me, it has been ingrained in my mind that the best job is the one that pays the best, but after listening to Mr. Bolos and O'Connor (and reading this blog post) I am starting to question what I am working so hard for.

    ReplyDelete