Sunday, December 16, 2012

What needs be done to prevent future mass shootings?

As our entire nation weeps the loss of 20 children, and six adults in the tragic elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, there has been much outcry over what our Government can do to prevent these seemingly frequent atrocities. Obama gave a very heartfelt speech, and urged that gun lobbyists need to set aside politics and, "take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this."

An article in the Washington Post revealed that, "Of the 12 deadliest shootings in U.S. history, six have taken place since 2007." The article highlights some reasons of why the fatal incidents have been increasing over the past several years. Regardless of how, or why these shootings keep on happening I think we can all agree that preventative actions must be taken.

What are your reactions to Obama's speech? Do you think it will inspire gun rights lobbyists to put aside their political views and work to prevent these shootings through legislation? Also, please comment what you think should be done in order to prevent future mass shootings. All of your voices matter, and debating the issue will give us all a deeper insight on what can be done to put an end to these heinous acts.  

2 comments:

  1. Noah, you bring up an interesting point. When I first heard the story I felt for the victims and families, but I hadn't yet thought about prevention. I was grieving for all the lives lost and amazing people that will never get to be. I don't however believe it is a gun control issue. Maybe a physiatric issue. The shooter was clearly not in his right mind. The problem in my opinion is the media. These terrible things make the shooter infamous. Some people would rather be infamous then die a sad nobody. The media in my opinion is the biggest part of the problem. They need to stop putting so much attention on the shooters and more on the victims. This way someone watching will not be planning to out do this shooter by something even more horrific to be known. I was however touched by Obama's speech for I think he did a good job not focusing on the shooter, but on the victims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Molly that the media which makes criminals infamous, and promotes a form of competition between gunmen, needs to be modified. But my question is how? I feel that it might promote shooters, however that is not better than the small shootings for example of the South Side of Chicago that get no recognition because people are dying everyday. I think if anything there needs to be an increase in coverage of shootings, obviously not a daily update of the South Side but we still need to be aware of a greater range. Also while I think Obama's speech was extremely moving with his dramatic pauses, personal connections, and sympathy for the victims, I feel like he should have spent more time on how we will move forward as a nation. I realize that this is a tough speech because it needs to consul the victims families, however I feel that the speech lacked information about gun control or regulations. Therefore, I think that this specific speech would not cause gunmen to put down there guns or for gun rights lobbyists to put aside their political views. This was a heartfelt speech, but since it is dealing with such a significant and historical political conflict, Obama should have voiced a stronger opinion that didn't only last 20 seconds.

    ReplyDelete